29 Jun 2013

Endemic tree from Azores (Açores)

Juniperus brevifolia is an endemic tree from Azores.
I went to visit Terceira island as I will be doing a years-worth of scientific illustration for a conservation project involving insects and spiders that live on this tree.

These are my first drawings of the tree, after having visited the natural forest, done some sketches in the location - and what an awesome location! - and then translated them into a digital silhouette form.

I'll admit that it was super scary to walk all the way to the trees in the virgin forest, the floor was very slippery and there were loads of holes hidden beneath false flooring made by plants. I was totally unprepared for it, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to go with people who are used to it and know all the trails and also know a lot about the fauna and flora around that area.




1 comment:

Prabhuraj Manvi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.